• The Rev'd Brandon Walsh

Gifts of Hope

What does it mean to Hope? Sometimes we use the word as synonymous with a wish. We sure wish for things to turn out right- we hope that we don’t have too mu

ch trouble at work this week.

But is that what Christians mean by Hope? Do we just cross our fingers and hope for the best? No. That’s not what Hebrews means where it states: (Heb. 6:19) “We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf…”

Hope, in the Christian sense, is more than wishful thinking. It is what roots us to our Savior’s life, death and resurrection. What sort of Anchor of the soul would wishful thinking be? The wind and the waves would cast us far from that weak mooring.

Our Hope as Christians is set on our Resurrected Lord. And though we see things now as through a glass darkly- we know the conclusion of God’s story- a world made new in God’s redeeming Love. Now we see in part, then we will see face to face. Until then, we have Faith, Hope and Love.

We decided to name this alternative giving guide “Gifts of Hope” because we have Hope even in the midst of difficult situations and in hearing difficult stories. How did people have hope for Rwanda after the genocide? How can people today have Hope in the midst of poverty and suffering? We have Hope because Jesus lives.

In this guide we have given you simple ways that you can walk with us in the work God has started here. These items address immediate and concrete needs in the life of the communities we work in.

When you “purchase” one of these items the money is used to greatly subsidize the cost for the local community (by about 95%). However, the local community will still contribute something toward the item (the remaining 5%). We have decided to do this for a number of reasons. First, it helps to bring dignity to the persons who are participating in the programs. They are leading us in the strengthening and developing their communities, they are not passive recipients. Second, it instills a much greater sense of ownership in the materials. Even if the contribution is only a portion of the actual cost of each item, they can feel joy in knowing they were the ones who made a sacrifice to make a difference. This also helps them understand that these projects are ultimately their projects, not ours.

100% of our work is funded by individuals and churches, and all of our overhead is funded separately from the project costs. Meaning 100% of the money you donate is used for direct ministry costs in Rwanda and does not include administrative overhead. What we do would not be possible without your help.

To purchase a gift visit Hope On a Thousand Hills.



The Diocese of Christ our Hope’s mission is to plant, equip, and multiply disciple-making Anglican churches, and to support and serve their people and leaders in Christian life and mission.


PO Box 52449

Durham, NC 27717



PO Box 52449

Durham, NC 27717